Sunday 30 September 2012



Although not all my reviews are spoilery, which I do not consider this one to be, here is a little warning just in case.

Review Written: 30th September 2012

How To Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran

It makes us look like losers. It makes us look like cowards. And that’s the last thing we are. That’s the very, very last thing women are (295).

Laugh out loud funny. Those are the words I would use if I could only use four to describe this book. If I had more than four, I would also include ‘moving’ and ‘wonderful’ and ‘feminist goodness.’ You may have noticed that I go on an occasional feminist rant so to have a whole book filled with moans was good.

I usually talk about writers by using their last names, but it feels weird to refer to Caitlin Moran as just Moran – one, because it’s too serious and 2) it sounds like I’m referring to a Sherlock Holmes villain. So, for the purpose of this review, I will either say CM or Caitlin. I’m warning you now before you start thinking I’m too informal and ‘chummy.’

The book tackles important questions. I’m talking questions even more important than the meaning of life. I’m talking, what should one name their boobs? What? It’s an important question! CM takes us through significant parts of her life – growing up, marriage, babies, friends, family plus even the stuff that society have almost tabooed to talk about in public (with this, I am referring to Chapter 1, check it out!)

My favourite chapter would have to be chapter six, entitled ‘I am Fat!’ as it is the chapter I personally related to. She explains the social norms we can never be a part of – wearing shorts, swimming pools, sitting on a high school, flirting, being kissed. The line “A fat teenage girl’s body is of no use to anyone, let alone the teenage girl (106)”rang particular alarm bells. I’m not saying all overweight girls are like this. I have met many a larger woman who is actually comfortable with her size, or so they have told me but unfortunately, I am not one of these women. I spent...well, all my teens considering I am now twenty, hiding my weight unhappiness through sarcasm and being funny. The logic? I cannot be beautiful and desirable; therefore, I shall be funny. I am still not slim, but I have spent the best part of ten years, half my life, trying to accept the fact that I never will be slim. Hence, while reading this chapter, most of it was read in blurred vision while I cried in agreement. 

But don’t think this is the most miserable book you will ever read, even if the chapter on abortion continues this theme. It’s not. Like I said in the beginning, this is one funny book, definitely one of the funniest I have ever read. And don’t think you have to be female to read this book, you don’t. It’s a book about life and anyone can relate to that.

NEXT REVIEW: ALYXANDRA HARVEY’S STOLEN AWAY

No comments:

Post a Comment