Thursday 4 October 2012

Although not all my reviews are spoilery, which I do not consider this one to be, here is a little warning just in case.

Review Written: 4th October 2012

Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling.

Apparently, I was supposed to be completing my university reading yesterday. Instead, I started this book, and then finished it. You see, the problem is, it was too good to put down!

What shall I say about sequels for teenage books? I have a love/hate relationship with them and have read many a sequel that doesn't live up to the excitement of the first book. This sequel however, does not fall into the trap. Now, I say sequel, this can actually be read as a standalone book. Sure, it helps to have read the first, Finding Sky, where we discover the world of the savant and the idea of soulfinders, but the central characters for that book were Sky and Zed Benedict, the youngest Benedict brother. This book focuses on Phoenix, a thief in a group of savants and her target is Yves Benedict, the sixth son.

Except, it doesn't quite go to plan. She freezes the group of tourists Yves is a part of, and successfully steals the iPad he has....but then it bursts into flames. After being punished by her Seer, she tries again the following day, finally meeting Yves and discovering he is her soulfinder. Now, Phoenix and Yves need to find a way to be together and help her get away from the evil Seer and his interestingly named helpers Dragon and Unicorn. I loved Phoenix as a character, she is fiesty and brave and I also loved Yves too!

I love the fact the book was set in London, and more specifically, East London. When people say London, they usually think of Oxford Street and Piccadilly Circus, yet thanks to the Olympics, East London has been put onto the map. I read this book after London 2012, so it was nice to revist the rebuilding of the stadium, especially as it was something I saw develop after riding past on the train. Other parts of London are visited, the Tate and Millenium Bridge and much to my delight, my favourite musical Wicked.   

Overall, I loved this book. It is one of the best teenage books I have read in a long time. I now want to go out and buy Seeking Crystal, the next in the series. Silly university; getting in the way of reading fiction books!!!

NEXT REVIEW: CLAUDIA GRAY'S FATEFUL

No comments:

Post a Comment