Wednesday 28 November 2012

Although not all my reviews are spoilery, which I do not consider this one to be, here is a little warning just in case.
All page numbers are correct for the above edition.

Review Written: 26th November 2012

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

There are twelve stories in the series tie-in edition (or in any edition of Adventures but I read the above copy), so I will be talking about a few of my favourite stories.

1) My favourite would have to be The Adventure of the Copper Beeches. Before reading the books, I got the impression that the only strong female that appeared in the books is Irene Adler, and therefore everyone assumes Sherlock/Irene had a thing. However, Violet Hunter is...how should I put it...a babe.

"I could see that Holmes was favourably impressed by the manner and speech of his new client." (298) "I should not ask it of you if I did not think you a quite exceptional woman." (318) "very brave and sensible girl." (318)

And clearly Sherlock thinks she is too. Violet comes to Sherlock and John after being offered the job of governess for Jephro Rucastle's young son as long as she cuts her hair. After having first rejected the job because she was fond of her hair, and a discussion with the pair, she realises it is a minor thing, cuts her hair and takes the job. Two weeks later, she needs Sherlock and John's help as strange goings on have been happening in the Copper Beeches.

2) I also enjoyed The Red-headed League: Jabez Wilson, a red-headed pawnbroker from London responds to a newspaper ad about a job asking for red-headed men only. One day, he turns up to his £4 a week job and finds a sign on the door saying "The Red-headed league is dissolved." Sherlock and John find it hilarious as do I, the reader, and the story is solved within a weekend.

3)  A Case of Identity was a rather sad story. The rather wealthy Miss Mary Sutherland's fiancĂ© has gone missing and enlists Sherlock and John's help to find him. Her young step-father disapproves of her getting married and the story ends with a disturbing twist that makes me feel bad for Mary.

4) The Boscombe Valley Mystery: Lestrade (who isn't as loveable as he does in the TV series!!) summons Sherlock and John to Herefordshire, where Charles McCarthy, a local landowner has recently been killed. His son, James has been arrested as they were seen arguing before the murder. Things aren't as obvious as they seem, of course, so Sherlock has to find who the real murderer is.

Unfortunately, I have been 'ruined' by the TV show. I had my shipper goggles on while reading this, which did cause me to giggle a few times. Especially as Watson is married and his wife is totally fine with him solving crimes with Sherlock by travelling or staying at Baker Street!! I also loved book Sherlock - he is more concerned than the 'legend' led me to believe; one example: "'You must not fear,' said he soothingly, bending forward and patting her forearm." (186)

As these are short stories, it takes hardly any time to get through a story which means you can come back to the book whenever you have a spare moment (especially useful for me as a university student!!) However, they are such page turners that it only took me a weekend to complete the lot!!

NEXT REVIEW: RACHEL CAINE'S CAPE STORM

No comments:

Post a Comment