Tuesday 28 August 2012


THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
 
Review Written: 28th August 2012

Endure by Carrie Jones

The previous three books have seen the rogue pixies become stronger in their world domination quest. In this novel, the evil pixies are going wild and attacking everyone, not just teen boys. Zara and Co form an army to 1) fight the pixie threat and 2) stop the end of the world. An end that could be brought about by Norse God Loki. In Entice, Zara met Odin and Thor and if you know your Norse mythology or even your Marvel universe, you should know: Odin/Thor - good, Loki - bad. The problem with this, is that I now had the image of Tom Hiddleston in my head while reading. I say problen, having an image of Tom Hiddleston in your head is never a problem, it's just I see him more as 'misunderstood' than 'taking over the world.' 

Zara also meets Hel, the daughter of Loki who looks after the dead. So when one goes to 'hell', it is not in the Christian sense of Heaven & Hell. People go to 'Hel' if they die of old age or disease rather than to Valhalla as a warrior. She helps Zara by giving her tips to defeat the pixies....and letting her see her stepfather again. I read this book on the train (I know, I do that often) and I almost cried; yes, I do that often too. Turns out, Loki is just as misunderstood as he is in the Thor movie, and he isn't going to bring about the end of the world at all. He admits he will fight in it, against Thor and Odin, but he will not cause it. The pixies do. I forgot to mention that they had to travel to Iceland in order to achieve this.

I was disappointed about the whole Nick/Zara breaking up thing. She went to Valhalla and back to rescue him, becoming pixie in order to do so and they both just seem to give up on the relationship. It falls apart but it's accepted. Like, shrug of the shoulders disappointed. Shrug of the shoulders but it's okay because I, Zara have Astley to fall back on, kind of disappointed. As a reader of the previous 3 books who found their relationship sweet, it is sad. I know hardly anyone stays with the first boyfriend they have, but this is a teen book and they tend to. To see a book breaking the mould, even though I constantly complain about that mould, makes me sad. I like Nick, and I never warmed to Astley.

I assume the series has finished. The pixies have been stopped, the state of Maine seems to be in peace and we are left with Astley, Zara and Issie making their way to Astley's villa in Europe. We are left with a remaining thought which suggests that Jones can always return to Zara's world if need be. I'm sad to say goodbye to it.

NEXT REVIEW: SOPHIE KINSELLA'S MINI SHOPAHOLIC



No comments:

Post a Comment