Tuesday 28 August 2012



Although not all my reviews are spoilery, which I do not consider this one to be, here is a little warning just in case.

Review Written: 28th August 2012

Atonement by Ian McEwan

The story starts with thirteen year old Briony Tallis finishing her play ‘The Trials of Arabella’. She wishes to put on the show for her returning brother Leon and his friend Paul Marshall. Enlisting the help of her cousins from the North, staying with the Tallis family due to their parent’s divorce, the rehearsals begin before Briony loses heart. She notices something between elder sister Cecelia and gardener Robbie. After reading a letter not meant for her and catching the two in an uncompromising position in the library, here is where Briony makes her mistake and spends the rest of her life trying to atone for it.

Admittedly, my mistake was watching the film first. At the time, I did not realise I would want to read the book. As the girl who read not one, not two but all three of the Hunger Games books in the four days before the film’s release, let us conclude that I like to read the books before I see the film. This time, I did it backwardly and did not enjoy it in the slightest. It takes any sort of enjoyment out of the book as I know what the twists and turns. Okay, the book goes into much more detail but the basic plotline is the same. The film is very good in terms of sticking to the book, even if the ending is slightly changed. However, this does not change the fate of Robbie & Cecelia.

As I’ve mentioned detail, this book has its fair share and then some left over. Every little bit is described but not needlessly so. It also contains a number of swear words, including the ‘C’ word which not only shocks Briony, but also the reader. What can I say? It’s the most intelligent book I’ve read in a while! The list of supporting characters are good - Paul Marshall creeps me out, as he's meant to, but he creeps me out even before you find out he is...interested in teenage girls. It turns out to be an upsetting relationship between him and cousin Lola.

I did like this book. It took me a while to get into it, but once this was overcome, it was enjoyable. Well, I say enjoyable, it was very very heartbreaking with a pinch of sadness thrown in for good measure. Not every love story has a happy ending, and this book demonstrates that perfectly.

NEXT REVIEW: CARRIE JONES' ENDURE (finally)

No comments:

Post a Comment