Thursday 16 August 2012

This is a minor spoiler review, I say minor because of a way one sentence is worded in paragraph two!!
Previous knowledge of DIE FOR ME is advised.



 Review Written: 11th August 2012

Until I Die by Amy Plum

The title gets it's name from the fact Kate is trying to find a way to ease Vincent's need to die until the end of her lifetime, 'until I die' as she whispers on page 248. The idea comes from an old text - Immortal Lovers, between a revenant and a human and it's a move that endangers her life, and those around her. She is accepting of the fact that she will age & Vincent will always feel the need to save those around him. The reader is also accepting; well, I say accepting, the reader understands even if they may not like it because you believe characters in books should remain together until the day they both die.

The book sees the arrival of two new revenants. Arthur and Violette - both from the 15th century aristocratic lifestyle. Cold at first, Violette soon 'warms up' to Kate by becoming more immersed in 21st century life. Cue me being instantly suspicious and when it is revealed someone is leaking information to the Numa (the bad guys) I know exactly who it is. Although Kate is very mistrusting of Arthur, he is just very big on protecting the revenant clan.

If Kate wasn't so strong willed, Vincent's need to have her constantly watched would have bugged me. I can't stand it when teen fiction female characters go all 'Bella Swan' on me and I don't believe women need babysitters. Consider that my feminist bit seeing as you've not had one for a while. Jules is made to watch over her when Vincent goes to Germany, and I can never be quite sure whether he actually fancies Kate or whether he's just overly friendly.

And the ending!!! Cliffhangers seem to be at the end of every book I read at the moment and I find them so frustrating! (In a 'noooooooooooo, you can't leave me there' kind of way.) Even more so when I can't just reach for the next book in the series! (There is a next book, I checked the Waterstones website! Although the wait is taking me to next May...NEXT MAY.) This is a non-spoiler review so I can't reveal what happens, just know that I almost let out a frustrated groan on the London Underground while trying to hold back tears. That itself, speaks volumes on what you need to expect.
NEXT REVIEW: IAN McEWAN'S ATONEMENT

No comments:

Post a Comment